Wolfun: My First Attempt Building A Mascot Character

After making 10-15 puppets I thought one day that I could BE the puppet. Perfectly logical idea and my mind was immediately set. Besides the obvious of ‘How will I create a mascot?’ the next question was the hardest one though…

…WHAT AM I GOING TO BE???

I ran the gamut of ideas in my head, drew up a couple horrible stick figure pics, and eventually came to the conclusion I wanted to be the following: “A happy go lucky wolf who just wants to be friends with Little Red Riding Hood.”

A name was needed. Sometimes a name will have very deep meaning but not this time.

Wolf + Fun = Wolfun

And just that simple, Wolfun was born.

Crazy huh? Well, onward I went and the ideas kept piling into my half human / half reptoid brain. I needed feet, BIG feet, that was a given. Hands and sleeves were going to be needed as well. A head piece was without question going to be a full pull over helmet for lack of better description and not a partial or mask. Lastly, I thought a chest piece would be grand to wear under oversized clothes so I could leave it unbuttoned revealing my jacked wolf physique. Wolves are lean beasts and clearly the cross-fit type.

Okay great. Ideas are not set and Wolfun is going to be one bad ass wolf that’s ready to party.

I never did a typical “Step by step” because it was a learning process for me and for every 1 piece I created there was probably 2 to 10 variations of it. Being self-taught has its advantages and disadvantages when tackling a new project like this and in retrospect a little I would do different next time. Adding claws to the feet was probably the hardest part. They’re somewhat retractible and make a little click when you step but I can push them up into the foot cavity if I don’t want them all the way out.

The experience of creating college mascots or even high school mascots just isn’t there for me. I knew going into this project I would hit walls. The tip of the NOSE was a killer for me. I ended up making ¬†mixture of black latex paint with latex rubber so it had that rubbery dog-like texture to it and applied direct to the foam. Then had the painful process of laying fur perfectly around the edge. But it looks fucking great and hey now custom mascots can go on my LinkedIn to creep people out.

Carving foam was probably the most fun part for me in the process and something I had not really done before this. I used an old electric knife from turkey season. They work amazing in getting shapes made and trimming things down. For the detail work an X-Acto or box cutter is always king but at this size would make you crazy.

I use a variety of tools and you can check out another post here about craft tools to keep in your drawer.

Enjoy the pics of Wolfun and tell me what you think. There are lots more pictures of the process I just need to go through the whole mess of it one day. 100’s of Wolfun images in the archives! Organizing my Photos app is one of those things that’s on the ‘i’m working on it’ list of TTD but who knows how long that will take, there are literally 30,000+ images if not more by now of various life and puppet things.

Check out this gallery of the work creating Wolfun from end to end.

Reply